I am interested in our social spaces and practices because they are related to how we dwell in our world. Through multiple approaches in my practice — as an artist, writer, designer or curator — I give thought to the issues that embody our zeitgeist, those that are being lived in the now and perhaps even influence the evolution of the future.
Brendan Goh is often preoccupied by things that lie within the realm of the domestic and the homely, and often related to being and habitation. His work, taking various forms such as texts, sculptures and installations are part of his approach to experimenting and understanding what makes lives livable and memorable. Apart from this, he also lends his mind to a range of other imaginative endeavours such as curating, designing, editing and creative directing.
Brendan spent his formative years at the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, before moving on to the LASALLE College of the Arts where he obtained his BA Fine Arts in Singapore in 2007. Brendan majored in Sculpture, but was noted to spend most of his time outside the studio, fascinated with words, people and spaces.
seed is the thinking and working space of Singapore-based artist Brendan Goh, created to incubate creative processes between art and design. seed is about sowing ideas wherever they might sprout, catalysing their germination into better things, and welcomes collaborations between like-minded individuals and groups working in any discipline.
seed | projects is the resource and project management branch of seed, and oversees the financial and accounting aspects of day-to-day operations.
contact detailsseed | projects
SingPost Box 880146
Business Registration Number: 53166477E
Bank: Standard Chartered
Account Number: 4000016643
Bank Code: 7144 Branch Code:40
- Italiano A2, Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Singapore, 2012.
Deutsch A2, Goethe-Institut, Singapore, 2011
Deutsch A1, Deutsche Akademie für Sprachen, Berlin, Germany, 2011
Corso di Lingua Italiana, Università per Stranieri di Siena, Toscania, Italy, 2009
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Sculpture, LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore, 2007
Completed Year 2 of Diploma in Fine Arts Program, Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore, 2005
GCE 'A' Levels, Catholic Junior College, Singapore, 2000
GCE 'O' Levels, Maris Stella High School, Singapore, 1998
grants / residencies
- Culturia Artist-in-Residence, Berlin, Germany, 2011
laiyanprojects Residency, Hong Kong SAR, 2011
OZU Residency, Monteleone Sabino (RI), Lazio, Italy, 2009
Borsa di Studio, Fondazione Monte dei Paschi di Siena, Toscania, Italy, 2009
Artist-In-Residence, Studio Bibliothéque, Hong Kong, 2008
LASALLE-SIA Foundation Grant, LASALLE-SIA College of the Arts, Singapore, 2006
Local Arts Bursary, National Arts Council, Singapore, 2006
Georgette Chen Arts Scholarship, National Arts Council, Singapore, 2005.
Arts and Cultural Scholarship, Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan, Singapore, 2004
- Designer, A Commentary on Praises to the Twenty-one Taras, by Lama Lhundrup Rigsel, published by Amitabha Buddist Center
- Art Director, The Schokoladen, with Cornelia Erdmann, published by laiyanprojects and seed | projects
- Artist, Candyplatz, with Andrea Coyotzi Borja
- Artist, Purple Medicine Garden, with Shirley Soh and Martha Rosler
- Artist, The Schokoladen, with Cornelia Erdmann
- Art Director, Who Cares? 16 Essays on Curating in Asia, edited by Michael Lee and Alvaro Rodríguez Fominaya, published by Parasite, Studio Bibliotheque and seed | projects
- Co-Curator, The Sustainable Shop, with Shirley Soh
- Art Director, Monuments to Everything Else, by Michael Lee
- Docent, Singapore Pavilion, 53rd Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy
- Editor, the sky i wish to share with you, by han
- Data Visualization, A Psychotaxonomy of Home, The Baba House, Singapore
- Art Director, The Consolations of Museology, by Michael Lee Hong Hwee, 3rd Guangzhou Triennial 2008: Farewell to Post-colonialism
- Book Artist, Trace, by Susie Wong
- Artist, Clean and Green Singapore, National Parks Board
- Designer, Appetites for Litter, 8th Emerging Artists Show, Plastique Kinetic Worms
- Editor, Appearances of Desire, published by Michael Lee, Hong Kong Salon Sexxchange 2006, curated by Dr Katrien Jacobs.
- RAM Segment I, Mica Moca, Berlin, Germany
- 3rd Singapore Biennale: Open House, Singapore
- The Schokoladen, laiyangallery, Hong Kong SAR
- The Sustainable Shop, Singapore Management University, Singapore
- Ciborama, OZU, Monteleone Sabino, Italy
- 3rd Guangzhou Triennial 2008: Farewell to Post-colonialism (Independent Projects Section, with Michael Lee Hong Hwee, han, Willie Koh, Nicholas Escoffier), Guangzhou, People's Republic of China
- Forest (In conjuction with the Singapore Art Show 2007 and curated by Milenko Prvacki), Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve, Singapore
- 07, LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore
- Games of Desire: The Fantasy of (Re)Production, TickleArt, Singapore
- Visual Rage, Institute of Contemporary Arts Singapore, Singapore
- Feast! (with Arthur Wong, Robert Guth, Susie Wong, Dana Lam, Jon Chan, and Rirkrit Tiravanija), Tickleart, and Institute of Contemporary Art, Singapore.
- Antipode, Front Row, Singapore
- Sama-Sama, 72-13 Mohamed Sultan Road, Singapore
- The VeryHairyJellyBelly Show, LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore
- Roses and Unicorns: Naming Southeast Asia, Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore
- Eclectix, Gallery 1, Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore
- "Between Food and Art: A conversation" in The Schokoladen, Erdmann, C., and Goh, B., ed. Lim, H., Singapore and Hong Kong SAR
- "Perpetual Monologues" in <<好想和妳分享的天空>> the sky i wish to share with you, ed. Goh, B., Singapore: Yesterday Was Great, 2009
- "The House as Museum", in Foundations: The Consolations of Museology, Lee, M., ed. Abbas, N., Hong Kong SAR and Singapore: Studio Bibliothéque and WORM, 2008
- "The Love of Many", in Preoccupations: Things artists do anyway, eds. Lee, M., and Erdmann, C., Hong Kong SAR: Studio Bibliothéque and laiyan projects, 2008
- "Soul to Soul: Remixed – Dreaming the city?", Soul to Soul: Remixed Catalogue, Singapore: Singapore History Museum, 2006